08 June 2006

How to watch the World Cup

I read TomDispatch from time to time...and today there was an article by Tony Karon entitled "How to Watch the World Cup: Politics and War by Other Means." It's a great article with great stories about the importance of the World Cup to all countries (except the USA). It's a bit long, but I highly recommend reading even just a portion of it, it covers a bit of everything:

  • TomDispatch: Tony Karon


  • And here's a great quote from that article:

    "From contemporary geopolitical and cultural conflicts (or their historic echoes) to the impact of globalization, the World Cup offers a real-time snapshot of the state of our world."

    I then, of course, had to look up Tony Karon's blog, Rootless Cosmopolitan, and here's the link to his World Cup commentary:

  • What do they of football know who only football know
  • 2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    All I can say is, I can't wait!!!! Starting tomorrow it's 7.5 hours of television a day every day for me... and that's not even counting the Sox games in the evening. I only hope I'll have time to eat...

    oonams said...

    Isn't it Leah's job to remind you to eat in times like these? ;-) I just wish I had cable...the only games i'll be able to watch are the ones shown on regular tv over the weekends. While I'm at work though, I've got the World Cup on my google homepage so that I can keep score, and there are always clips of the games online...thank the penguin gods for the internet!